Everyone likes a deal, right? There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying used furniture. It is usually a fraction of the cost of new furniture and is sometimes in like-new condition. However, the worst of infesting pests sometimes find a way into your home on the best deals! You can sometimes prevent this by taking a few extra steps before you make that purchase.
- Look over the items carefully for any staining or dirt-like appearance in the cracks and crevices of the furniture. Could be cockroach poop or as much as I hate to say it... bed bugs.
- Do not be afraid to gently tap around the cracks and crevices to see if anything suspect falls out.
- If you are still worried about the item, place it out in the hot sun for a few days during the summer months. The heat will make the pests uncomfortable and easier to identify when inspecting. Reinspect before taking into your home.
- Clean the item really well -especially in the cracks and crevices. The cleaning product may make the pests move around enough for you to identify that you have a problem prior to moving the item inside your home.
- Please be especially wary of buying used mattresses, boxsprings, headboards, night stands and used sofas and chairs. These items can be a haven for bed bugs and very difficult to visibly identify, even for professionals. You may not identify bed bugs until they take a nibble of you.